Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Pursuit of Healthy Hair

As a youth, I always loved to style hair. I styled my own hair, my sisters’ hair, and the hair of friends. In high school, I decided that I wanted to become a hair stylist after graduation. I signed up for a program that would allow me to find out what Cosmetology was all about. Surprisingly though, I didn’t get the opportunity to do much “hair” while in Cosmetology class because we had to learn everything else as well…Go figure! Anyhow to make a long story short, I changed my decision about becoming a stylist and ended up attending college and becoming an Electrical Engineer of all things! LOL. But I never lost my love for hair and always dreamed of at least opening a salon/spa one day.

So, now here we are about 15 years plus down the road since those dreams of becoming a hair stylist and today I’m a newly natural hair girl who loves her curls! So, my thoughts on hair and hair care today are significantly different than what they were years ago when I was a long haired relaxed chick! :-) Today my beliefs about healthy hair go deeper than just healthy “looking” hair and have morphed into the overall idea that both what I put ON my hair and IN my body affect my hair. As a result, I like to focus on organic store bought and homemade concoctions that promote the growth of healthy hair and eating healthier for overall hair health. It’s been a journey that I’ve been on since those happy hair days as a youth but this new phase is something that I pride myself on doing because I know that my health is not being negatively impacted anymore by the chemicals in the products that I use on my hair/scalp.

For the future, my new goal is to promote healthy hair through the development of organic hair products and eventually open a natural salon where your mind is eased by the products that we use and promote. So, I hope that you’ll continue to check back in to learn healthy hair tips, style tips, product reviews, the progress against my own hair goals, and for any little tidbit of information I may want to discuss about hair…LOL. And along the way I hope that you will feel free to comment and share your hair stories as well!!